For weeks there has been much speculation that fan-favourite Who Show Thebarman would be retired, and Chris Waller confirmed on Friday that the veteran stayer had run his last race.
In a statement released online, Waller said the decision had been made amongst the ten year-old’s connections that retirement was the best option.
“He has been a wonderful horse for the owners, the punters, racing fans and of course my staff and I,” Waller said.
“He has gained a huge public following during his career and we will certainly miss the orange and white entourage on race day.
“We have many special memories of Thebarman who has gone to the paddock as a happy, healthy and sound 10 year-old and will be remembered in New Zealand and Australia as one of our best stayers in the past decade.
“There is some discussion that he may spend time in Melbourne however he will eventually return home to New Zealand and retire on the lush pastures in Whangaehu where he spent many of his younger years,” he said.
Who Shot Thebarman arrived in Australia in 2014 from New Zealand as an Auckland Cup winner and went on to amass more than $4million in prizemoney, winning eleven of his 57 starts.
The popular stayer competed in five Melbourne Cups and six Sydney Cups, including winning the 2018 Sydney Cup as a nine year-old. – Racing.com